History of WCCAC
The Children’s Advocacy Center was chartered in 1997 as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. The District Attorney at that time recognized the need for Williamson County children to have a safe and child-friendly place to talk about alleged sexual and/or physical abuse.
The quaint 1300 sq. ft. “home” at 406 West University Avenue in Georgetown started with one employee and saw 103 forensic interviews conducted in 1998. Those numbers have steadily increased to over 650 interviews in 2013.
In 2001, the Board realized that the growth of Williamson County dictated the need for a larger Children’s Advocacy Center, and in 2005 undertook the challenge of designing and finding financial support for a new “home” for us.
WCCAC broke ground September 8, 2006, for the new 7500 sq. ft. facility, located at 1811 SE Inner Loop in Georgetown. We moved into the beautiful new facility in October 2007, which allowed us to expand forensic interview services and add full-time counseling and forensic medical exams. We have many people to thank for making this dream come true.
Our services have expanded over the years to move beyond the interview. Strengthening the investigation, our Outreach Program teaches first responders how to recognize and report suspected abuse. To date, we have made presentations to area firefighters, all the Williamson County school districts, and a large number of area day care centers.
In addition to our Forensic and Outreach Programs, we help children transition from the investigation through the prosecution phase of their cases, with the assistance of licensed therapists in our Counseling Program. Our goal is to help bring the children into a safe place via the forensic interview and begin healing through therapeutic intervention.